10 Must Have Free Windows Programs
We have compiled a list of 10 must have free windows programs to make your windows experience better!
Number 10 - Firefox
10) Firefox: One of the most popular and powerful browsers on the web Firefox should be on your windows PC. Enhancing security and speed, plus a massive library of plug-ins, personas, and other customizations makes Firefox is a must have.
Number 9 - CCleaner
9) CCleaner: CCleaner is the number-one tool for cleaning your Windows PC. It protects your privacy online and makes your computer faster and more secure. Easy to use and a small, fast download.
Number 8 - WinDirStat
8) WinDirStat: WinDirStat is a disk usage statistics viewer and cleanup tool for Microsoft Windows.
On start up, it reads the whole directory tree once and then presents it in three useful views:
- The directory list, which resembles the tree view of the Windows Explorer but is sorted by file/subtree size,
- The treemap, which shows the whole contents of the directory tree straight away,
- The extension list, which serves as a legend and shows statistics about the file types.
Number 7 - OpenOffice
7) OpenOffice: OpenOffice.org 3 is the leading open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more. It is available in many languages and works on all common computers. It stores all your data in an international open standard format and can also read and write files from other common office software packages. It can be downloaded and used completely free of charge for any purpose.
Best of all, OpenOffice.org 3 can be downloaded and used entirely free of any licence fees. OpenOffice.org 3 is released under the LGPL licence. This means you may use it for any purpose - domestic, commercial, educational, public administration. You may install it on as many computers as you like. You may make copies and give them away to family, friends, students, employees - anyone you like.
Number 6 - synergy
6) Synergy: is Free Open Source Software that lets you easily share a single mouse and keyboard between multiple computers with different operating systems, without special hardware. All you need is a LAN connection. It's intended for users with multiple computers, where each system uses its own display.
Number 5 - VLC
5) VLC: "It plays everything!"
The media player that fulfills all your needs. It handles DVDs, (S)VCDs, Audio CDs, web streams, TV cards and much more.
With VLC, there is no need to continually update many different codec packs. VLC comes with nearly every codec built in!
And whats more, VLC can play back your files, even if the media is damaged! Missing or broken pieces wont stop VLC. All the video and audio information that remains can be played.
Number 4 - PIDGIN
4) Pidgin: Pidgin is a chat program which lets you log in to accounts on multiple chat networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on MSN, talking to a friend on Google Talk, and sitting in a Yahoo chat room all at the same time.
Pidgin runs on Windows, Linux, and other UNIX operating systems. Looking for Pidgin for OS X? Try Adium!
Pidgin is compatible with the following chat networks out of the box: AIM, ICQ, Google Talk, Jabber/XMPP, MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, IRC, Novell GroupWise Messenger, QQ, Lotus Sametime, SILC, SIMPLE, MXit, MySpaceIM, and Zephyr. It can support many more with plugins.
Pidgin supports many features of these chat networks, such as file transfers, away messages, buddy icons, custom smilies, and typing notifications. Numerous plugins also extend Pidgin's functionality above and beyond the standard features.
Number 3 - Gimp
3) Gimp: GIMP is an acronym for GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed program for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.
It has many capabilities. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert quality photo retouching program, an online batch processing system, a mass production image renderer, an image format converter, etc.
GIMP is expandable and extensible. It is designed to be augmented with plug-ins and extensions to do just about anything. The advanced scripting interface allows everything from the simplest task to the most complex image manipulation procedures to be easily scripted.
Number 2 - Thunderbird
2) ThunderBird: All you need to provide is your name, email address, and password and Thunderbird will find your email settings and set up your email accounts for you. It’s that easy.
Customize Thunderbird however you want, whether it’s to make you more productive or to make Thunderbird more fun. You can choose from hundreds of add-ons like Personas to change Thunderbird’s look.
You can now find and install new add-ons directly from the Add-ons Manager.
Number 1 - Portable Apps
1) Portable Apps: Now you can carry your favorite computer programs along with all of your bookmarks, settings, email and more with you. Use them on any Windows computer. All without leaving any personal data behind.
PortableApps.com provides a truly open platform that works with any hardware you like (USB flash drive, iPod, portable hard drive, etc). The entire platform is open source built around an open format that any hardware or software provider can use.
The PortableApps.com Suite and Platform is free. It contains no spyware. There are no advertisements. It isn't a limited or trial version. There is no additional hardware or software to buy. You don't even have to give out your email address. It's 100% free to use, free to copy and free to share.
People who liked our Top 10 Windows Downloads also liked our Top 10 Free Open Source Games.
See Unbeatable Machines Interactive
Web Design Gallery
Home, business, and web services are now online
Unbeatable Machines is now a proud participant in the World Community Grid.
Connect & Network With Us:
Over 400 fans and 1000 followers, join today for instant updates!
We Donate Computing Power to:
View our Charitable Works